Serves 4 | Prep time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 2 hours
This creamy chicken casserole recipe will ruffle your feathers in the best way possible! If you are a fan of casserole dishes, then you will love this culinary creation courtesy of Le Creuset.
Chicken is a very versatile meat, which is why it can be used in various dishes. This recipe is perfect for Sunday lunch, but can also be enjoyed as a mid-week meal.
It incorporates yummy mushrooms, fragrant garlic, some white wine, and double cream to give it that irresistibly creamy texture.
- 24cm casserole dish
- 1x1kg chicken, portioned into quarters
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to season
- 1 tablespoon Mont Rouge Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 50g bacon, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 250g button mushrooms, cleaned and cut into quarters
- 1 tablespoon plain four
- 200ml sherry
- 500ml dry white wine, added at room temperature
- 3 large tomatoes, seeds removed and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 100ml double cream
- Season the chicken portions with salt and pepper and set to one side.
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil and butter in the casserole over medium heat and add the bacon. Stir-fry until transparent.
- Stir in the shallots, garlic and mushrooms, and continue to fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove everything from the casserole with a slotted spoon, leaving the oil behind.
- Add the chicken to the hot oil in the casserole and fry it on all sides until golden brown.
- Sprinkle over the flour and stir.
- Deglaze the casserole with the sherry and pour in the white wine. Add the tomatoes, bay leaves and thyme and bring to the boil.
- Return the fried bacon, shallots, garlic and mushrooms to the casserole. Bring to the boil again, place on the lid and simmer slowly over a low heat for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid from the casserole, take out the bay leaves and cook for a further 30 minutes, adding some water if necessary. Stir in the cream just before serving.